Sunday, July 20, 2008

Met One of My Neighbors Today


They say everything is bigger in Texas...and they ain't kiddin'.  I came across one of these bad boys, or rather girls, I guess I should say, walking rather quickly along the stone ledge at the back of my property.  She was an inch to an inch a half long and as bright as the picture.  After jumping back a couple feet and trying not to scream like the big sissy I am, I watched her scurry along and finally go down the wall and disappear in the creek bed below.  Then I went inside (carefully closing the door behind me as I debated whether or not I needed to wedge a kleenex in the slight gap I have at the bottom of my back door) and immediately googled "bright red spider" to find out what kind of poisonous creature I was dealing with.  After several unsuccessful hits about a red spider mite (way too small), I broadened my search to "bright red bug."  And THAT is when I discovered that there is something called a Red Velvet Ant.  Only it's not an ant--it's a wasp, and the ones you can actually see are the wingless females.  They feed on other bees and wasps, so I guess I won't kill her if I run across her (unless she is actually in my house-then all bets are off).  Oh yeah, the best part?  Her nickname is the Cow Killer, b/c apparently her sting hurts so bad it could kill a cow.  How's that for a welcome to the neighborhood?

1 comment:

Keri said...

Ewwwww!!!! That is one ugly and scary neighbor.