Some of you have heard already that Toby has cancer. About a month ago now, I felt a bump on Toby's face when I was petting him. On closer inspection, I found he had a mass coming off of his gums just above his teeth. I took him to the vet and they removed it. They gave it to me and I took it to work, where we processed it in the lab. The diagnosis was oral melanoma, which isn't a very good prognosis. About the same as melanoma in people I'd say. The melanoma also extended to the margin, which meant that there was some residual tumor (extent not entirely known) in his mouth.
Since Toby is relatively young (he's only 8) compared to most dogs that get this tumor, I took him for a consult with the veterinary radiation oncologist. After a fair amount of consideration, I decided I would pursue the radiation if there wasn't any evidence of metastatic disease already. So Toby went back to the vet for a chest x-ray. Good news: no mets. That was 2 weeks ago.
Last week, I took Toby back to the radiation oncologist and they performed a CT scan of his head and chest. The CT scan also came back negative for any evidence of metastatic disease in his lungs (most common site this tumor spreads to) or lymph nodes. This doesn't guarantee it hasn't already spread. But it is still good news and gives me hope that perhaps it has not. The doctor also uses the CT scan to map out where and how much radiation to shoot at the tumor. (and avoid as much of the surrounding normal tissue as possible)
I took Toby in this morning for his first treatment (the protocol consists of 1 treatment a week for 6 weeks). Fortunately, the radiation oncologist is on the way to work for me so I am able to drop him off on my way in and pick him up on my way home. The doctor said everything went well and he seemed normal when I picked him up. He's conked out pretty good now though. One nice thing about this vet is that they let all the dogs that are being treated that day walk around in the big room outside the radiation area instead of being cooped up in a kennel. Assuming they get along of course. So far I have been pleasantly surprised (and somewhat shocked) to learn that Toby has mingled with all the other dogs and not gotten into any "arguments." Not sure if this is because I'm not there for him to "protect" or if the new environment overwhelms him, but either way, I am thankful as I think being with the other dogs makes it more of a pleasant experience for him. I don't think he rests that much while he's there, though--other than when they put him out for the procedure.
I know that Toby is just a dog (as those of you without a dog may already be thinking), and I certainly wrestled with the decision to pursue further treatment as it's not without cost. But in my life, he's been much more and I couldn't not give him a chance. Thanks to all of you who've been so supportive! I'll try and do better about keeping you posted.
5 comments:
You made a post!! It seems 2008 was your best year of blogging - but you can always aim for better this year :) Glad Toby handled the first treatment well.
I'm so sorry to hear about Toby. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome! Hang in there, chickie!
We were so sad to hear about Toby's illness. I understand how much you love Toby. I loved Lucky as much as I love my children and the loss of him is as painful today as the day he passed. I would have went to the ends of the earth to save him and I am so glad you are treating Toby the best you can. Thank you so much for the pictures you found of Lucky. We didn't have them and It was great to get them. If I can do anything for you or Toby please let me know. You and Toby are in our thoughts and prayers.
Praying for successful treatment and a great recovery. Hang in there!
Bree
How is Toby doing?
Post a Comment